Saturday, April 10, 2010

Calm

First of all, I must thank everyone for their incredible comments this week. Sherri had tears in her eyes as I read them to her, so I know how much they meant to her, especially when she was counting the minutes through the awful Mag treatment. You have no idea what it means...

The difference a few days make. Apparently, Sherri is the talk of the ward...and in a good way this time! I am extremely proud to say that she responded exceptionally well to the Magnesium and is now resting with next to no pain and very few contractions. When I say very few, I mean like next to none, which is practically unheard of in our situation. I keep checking in and expecting a turn for the worse - and so far she has defied all expectations and is doing - I dare say - excellent. Yes, she's tired and worn out - but c'mon...lets get real - a couple of days ago I was convinced the babies were here and there was nothing I could do to stop it.
Garth, on the other hand...is a total wreck. I admit it and wish it was otherwise, but I must say that I had no idea how strung out I was as Sherri went through her ordeal. I don't know if it was care for my wife (of which I have lots) or concern for the health of the 3 babies...but the emotional crash was real. I'm not complaining, just informing.

We wonder how long it will stay this way. The babies are doing fantastic, moving and kicking again...which makes us feel really happy. We just want them to grow and pack on the weight, which thankfully they will be doing.

Sherri's mom is here and has been a HUGE help...we couldn't do this without the help of so many people. I'm afraid to mention names in case I miss someone, but our help with Mark has been amazing: especially Amber who takes care of him every day, and our next door neighbor Bonnie who just steps in when needed. Jelaine J has been an amazing encouragement and coach here at the hospital - a true professional in every way. Thank you all so much.

Mark is now screaming for me from the bedroom...I must attend to my single-parent duties!! I'll post more as the situation here changes. We are 4 short weeks from total success with these little dudes and I hope beyond words that we can get there!

24 comments:

  1. so happy to hear Sherri and the babies are doing great! And glad that you have so much wonderful support around you. sending you lots of love and hugs from across the line.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayyyyy! Congrats you two again for PULLING THROUGH!!! Thanks for the update once again, eventhough I am sure you ARE feeling very much worn out. A sigh of relief here for you all.

    keep on truckin! and hugs to you too fern!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, it's a wild ride you're on!!! There's lots of people cheering for you, and thinking of you often. Happy resting Sherri and Garth gets a high-five for his amazing writing. Take care, love Lara and gang

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy Sherri is doing better and the little babies are doing well! Garth if you need something, we can help also!! Thoughts and prayers continue! Only a little longer :) Love Danielle and Eric

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes... wow... have you heard a large collective sigh?
    Sherri... you are awesome! I hope you can continue to be like a mama grizzly and just hibernate for a bit longer :-)
    Garth...I second the high-five ;-) your writing is excellent. Thank you for sharing so much and so deeply with us... It helps to enter in and to be able to support you more deeply in thought, prayer, love...
    We send good wishes everyday... many times a day!
    xxoo
    renea and family

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear things are going better. Sherri, we are thinking of you lying in the hospital, time must be moving very slowly for you but you're in the best place. Try to enjoy the rest because it will be rare once you're the Mom of 4 boys! Garth we are thinking of you trying to juggle so many things ... wish we were closer to help. Thanks for taking the time to write and call so we know what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the news, Garth. We are so happy that Sherri and the babies are in such good hands. Pls trust in that care and expertise, and be sure to take care of yourself. Sherri is the SUPER Mom in this story, however,we cannot forget that you are the SUPER Dad!! And, it's understandable that you are feeling a bit overwhelmed. Let Grandma take care of Mark, the doc/JJ will take care of Sherri, and you just let that happen, and take care of yourself!! We are so happy that you are feeling supported, and we know that help will continue. Sending our love your way - Ron & Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh such a relief to hear the good news that things have calmed down. You all have been in our thoughts and prayers. Garth you write so well and give such great information to keep us updated. It is so nice to hear that Sherri's mom is here. Keep up the great work ... both of you! You guys are super! Love, Roxy and Alpha

    ReplyDelete
  9. What excellent news! We are SO glad to read it. Just four more weeks--that sounds much better than five! May the calm continue...

    Good job, three little boys--you are very obedient already!
    Shelley and Doug

    ReplyDelete
  10. Found your blog G and S! We are rooting for you and your sweet family! Sending happy, healthy vibes your way!
    Hugs,
    Ron and Laurie and family
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad to hear calm is upon you, make the most of it as once 3 little boys arrive you may want to be in bed again! All the best and if you need anything Sherri just call...lv, Paula Keddie and the gang

    ps. Hockey is on for two more weeks if you need a stress break Garth.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Way to go Sherri!! You are awesome!!! Hang in there Garth, you are the awesome support she needs! You guys are amazing!! Hugs, Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  13. Go Sherri Go!! You are without a doubt a WonderMom!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Standing-by is a 'go crazy' job. I'm SO GLAD Mark's got Dad home sometimes, tho. It would make a mom's heart lighter to know you boys are together.

    Thinking calm, peaceful thoughts for you, Sherri! - Bonnie S & family

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey what great news, every day is a bonus from now on, so just sit back and hang on tight - the ride is just beginning! Sherri you are doing a superb job, I know this waiting and wondering consumes your every waking thought but in 12 months from now this will all be a distant memory and you will have boys galore running around creating havoc and laughter and love....Garth you are doing a fantastic job as number 1 support man - such an important role - you're writing is wonderful too. Love and hugs Stephanie & boys

    ReplyDelete
  16. great news!! thinking about you guys so much!!!!
    xxoo
    rachael gregg and chloe

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yah!!!!
    Good for you Sherri. We miss you in our meetings but we are so glad things are going better. Love you lots.
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sherri is a real trooper!!!
    My thoughts and prayers are with those tough little guys and strength and rest for Sherri. Hang in there Garth, God has a perfect plan!!!

    Champoux Family

    ReplyDelete
  19. So relieved to hear that things are going better! We think of you guys often!!! Hang in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Garth and Sherri
    This is Carol G from Edmonton. Just wanted to tell you that 20 years ago I was threatening a premature delivery - so the monitors said - due to a fall and past history of a premie - and I was put on the Sulfate drug for nearly 6 weeks - in the hosptial and on bed rest. When I was 34 weeks they decided to take me off the drug one day - rise up and walk the next day - and go home the following day -- AND then I preceided to go full term. I was home living a normal life with three preschoolers - and ended up being induced. Perhaps the treatment plan has changed in recent years -- but it worked for me. GOOD LUCK to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thinking of you all. Wishing you the best and REST through the next 4 weeks!!
    Jered and Elaine and family

    ReplyDelete
  22. First off, have you ever thought of being a reporter Garth, your writing is amazing.

    Glad to hear all is going well, given the circumstances. We are thinking of you often. I keep checking here to see if anything has happened. But glad to see no new news. Keep up the good work, keep care of yourselves.

    Dan, Crystal, Liam, and Kyllie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Can truly say "been there done that"x2
    Its a strange place to be in for everyone just wondering at every movement and pain
    But everyday/every hour is a bonus.
    And those steroids they gave you remember that when they are crying at 3 am,you will be thankfull they can cry so loud.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Praying for the very best for all of you.

    ReplyDelete