Monday, May 3, 2010

Antepartum...the second time around

So we celebrated 31 weeks in style...with another trip back into the hospital. Not exactly what we wanted...Sherri much prefers to be at home, but better safe than sorry I guess.
This time at least we didn't go screaming in there in full out labor, so it seemed relatively calm and controlled. Much better this way, if you ask me! Her Doctor noticed signs of high blood pressure, elevated proteins, and fluid retention - all signs of toxemia, or as we know it preeclampsia. So they've ordered a few days worth of tests to see what is really going on. I'll keep ya posted.

She's really doing fantastic though...considering where she is in this pregnancy. Everyone who sees her comments on how good she looks - I must concur, and it amazes me. To carry around all that extra baggage and still look relatively fresh and have a smile is impressive. I must say, knowing how little she can sleep, and seeing how much those little guys move around in there - I have no idea how she keeps it all together. But she does...and will continue to, knowing her.

I think she's absolutely incredible.

Tuesday Update:
So Sherri went into labor again last night...I was home with Mark and she started to text me that she was having really strong contractions about 4:00am. Her cerv had started to dialate and at 5:00 it was up to 3cms so we thought it would definitely be an interesting day. By the time I got to the hosp at about 5:30 they had her drugged up again (terb shot) and the contractions started to ease off, thankfully. Seems that the nights are harder for her, and that she's more stable during the day - the nurses say thats often the case. They want to give her the second dose of steriods for the babies lungs tonight and see where the next 24 lead us. Its anyones guess now as to how long this little bomb can last...

I'm trying to prepare myself for the preemies...and in doing so have scared myself into a state of grim realism. I know that their chances of survival is really excellent now...but still we're talking about little guys that are 8-9 weeks early. This means an extended stay in the NICU for the little guys at the very least, which will be hard on us as it'll be really difficult to spend much time with them for a while. And the vast majority of our friends/family will have to watch their first months through pictures and videos instead of actually being able to see them in person.

I'm extremely thankful for our extra help right now -especially Sherri's mom who is spelling me off in the hospital and Amber who is doing an exceptional job taking care of Mark. I have no idea what I would do without them right now. Other than that I'll just try to keep this as up to date as I can for the next while! Thanks.

12 comments:

  1. And I think Sherri is incredibly lucky to have such a doting husband who thinks she is absolutely incredible...not that she isn't!! Thinking of you all and hoping the wee ones manage to stay in there a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. u got all the right lingo down Garth... u officially know the medical terminology... (I'm impressed)... Sherri is da best and we all know it... can't wait to meet those boyz.. but not yet.... love ya lots...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Checking in daily to see how things are progressing for Sherri and those babies. Glad for your good updates. From what I have observed via your blog, you two make a great team!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rest! Sherri, rest knowing that even though you are uncomfortable, you are in good hands and you have done a great job so far. Garth, rest knowing that you are at the max of your capacity for stress and still sane, so you can handle anything - and you've also done a great job so far.

    Mark is doing just fine - we leave in fifteen minutes to meet Barb at play class and then a surprise trip to McD's!

    Amber

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys are amazing - following your blog Garth, has been a special experience - your updates are incredibly moving and touching. Thoughts and prayers are coming at you all from Brisbane, Australia. May your little "dudes" be patient for a while longer yet.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks again for the updates Garth! Thinking of you TONS these days!!! Sherri.... yes, you continue to be a trooper... you continue to amaze us! Keep it up girl!

    Glad that Fern is able to just BE there..... what an amazing person she is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sherri & Garth,

    I hope that the terb has held off the delivery for a few more precious hours. We are thinking of you...and no matter what, 31 wks. with triplets is AMAZING!!! Hugs to all, Brent, Dayla, Marissa, & Kylie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dayla said it! 31 weeks with triplets is amazing!! Way to go! Hope all continues to go well, we are certainly thinking of you! Take care, Hugs all round....Paula K

    ReplyDelete
  9. We are forming our cheering squad again... thinking and thinking and loving and loving and praying for you everyday!

    XXOO for us 6 to you 6
    Renea Andy and the 4 wasabis and 2 strange dogs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carin and I checked for updates today. We are thinking of you!
    Love, Roxy

    ReplyDelete