Well, our NICU days are over. Yesterday about noon we learned that a room had opened up down in the ISCU that was big enough for all three of the "Miles Triplets", and so the move was on. Our little boys spent two short weeks in the NICU...much less than we expected and so we feel extremely thankful for our good fortune. I must admit that it was hard to leave though...the NICU is a very unique place that few people experience first hand...and its a place I hope to never forget.
This is a place where the joy of seeing your precious little baby is often jarred by the grim reality that you are not in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit for a holiday. Parents from all walks of life follow their tiny offspring into the shelter of this place...some of us leave with joy, others emptyhanded and wondering why. I have met many people. Most of them are trying to be as positive as they can, but their eyes tell a different story. "We're having a better day..." is sort of how the conversation tends to go. You try not to ask difficult questions. The truth is...we don't have the answers. A good day can turn bad within a few hours. And for those with 1 1/2 lb babies that are clinging to their little lives by a thread...every day can be precious.
Baby Conner has had some rough days. His parents keep vigil by his bedside...tears often streaming down his mothers face. His little body is hard to even see under the tubes and lines that help him breath and feed. He was born at 25 wks and has had some setbacks. The road will be hard.
Little Baby Isias never got to meet his baby twin brother. They were delivered at 27 weeks and only Isias survived. He is tiny also. But his father desperately wants him to come home some day. He has three beautiful big sisters that love their tiny little brother. But they should have two.
Baby Zachery is also tiny. Born at 24 weeks, on the edge of viability, his parents were completely unprepared for having a baby so soon. He still thinks breathing is optional...so the ventilator keeps him alive. His little heart hadn't had time to completely develop, so he has a heart murmur that is slowly closing. His dad is a Navy man. He will go serve his country. His heart will be here.
I am a bit of a wreck. I am blessed. My boys will go home. They will play in the sunshine, swim in the lake. I will hold them tightly and kiss their foreheads while they sleep. I will try to be a better dad, firm and strong. But I don't necessarily deserve it. I am just one of the fortunate ones. Most of us are.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! Chills up my spine after reading this! Thank you for sharing!
ReplyDeleteWow, tears streaming down the face as I read. Thank you for sharing! I feel so thankful for all we have and for the amazing technology that helps to make life possible for more little ones. I'm so glad that AJ, Ben, and Chase at doing sooo well!! Congrats on the move, that is so exciting!!! Can't wait to see more pics! :) <3, M&M
ReplyDeleteTears here, too! Congratulations on the move and yet I feel why your heart is heavily back in NICU with the others.
ReplyDeleteAmen!! We felt the same way when Jace got bumped up from NICU. We wanted to take all the nurses with us.. And we too will never forget the feeling we felt at holding our baby, while the crib next to us was draped with a curtain for a whole day with many visitors, then empty the next... Every child is a miracle.. Congrats on the big "MOVE"...
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing Garth. Wow aren't we ever fortunate. I sit here, holding Jyles with tears on my face, so very thankful that I get to cuddle him whenever I want. Some people aren't so fortunate. Soon you guys too will be bringing home the boys and cuddling them whenever youd like.....Give them big kisses from all of us!!
ReplyDeletexo
Wonderfully said
ReplyDeleteI am enjoying following your blog being I had triplets 34yrs ago. You have a wonderful experience ahead of you..enjoy every day.
So sad...so true! We are all so blessed! I'm so glad they are doing so well! Love Danielle and Eric
ReplyDeletewow guys...amen. The NICU changes a parent forever, we bond with these other parents who are otherwise total strangers- but what we have in common is the strongest love for these little precious people who are hanging on for dear life. glad to hear you are getting closer to getting home...
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear everyone continues to get stronger. But feel heartache for those not so fortunate. Best wishes to all.
ReplyDeleteWow, how lucky are you? Incredible. Enjoy every moment and thank God for your special little blessings. Hugs S+S+s+c
ReplyDeleteWow, thanks for pouring your heart out. My heart goes out to the ones still in the NICU too. When we had our stillborn daughter (who was only 2oz smaller than your Chase at 30 weeks), I would have given anything to be one of those NICU mom's hoping and praying for the survival and health of my baby. Now with our baby Madelynne and her cancer that hopefully never returns, you look at all the other families in the hospital, toddlers/children going through chemo, etc and feel so blessed she's only had to have surgery.
ReplyDeleteEvery baby is a miracle, a gift.
Funny when I had the twins, full term, big healthy boys, I actually felt guilty. Please do not let Sherri ever feel that way about being able to have 3 healthy boys that are thriving.
Soooo soooo happy your boys are doing well. Before you know it they will be home! :)
I am in the chills and tears boat...
ReplyDeleteGarth... thank you for your words...
we love you 6!!