Thursday, August 26, 2010

The sad, triple stroller

So today I had an interesting experience. We have decided that we do in fact require a 3-kid stroller for going to the park etc...and so I've been starting to look around hoping to find one that will work. Of course the logical place to start looking is ebay...and after that there's Craigslist. Trust me...a good used triple stroller is not easy to find.

This morning though - I thought I had struck gold when a fairly decent one came up on CL...even better that it was within driving distance...Spanaway, WA - just S of Tacoma. Called the lady who informed me she had had triplets 3 years ago and didn't need the stroller anymore so she was trying to get rid of it.

As I get into Spanaway...I finally find this place - in a neighborhood that I wouldn't want to be in after dark...if you know what I mean...all sorts of "interesting" people hanging out - and of course you can imagine me pulling up in my dress shirt and pants - Mr Yuppie guy in a Volvo - not exactly fitting into my surroundings. But hey - I drove an hour to get here...no stopping me now.

Two guys meet me in front of the house...and I'm feeling a little out of my league - especially since I'm not packing heat - they both belong on Harley's with Ape Bars and I'm sure they were. I'm starting to get a little worried about the wad of cash in my pocket but soon the gate swings open and there we are...a very used and dilapidated triple stroller along with aforementioned "mother".

Now the scene is a little humorous, but it all stops there. No question I'm in the middle of a classic drug-house with people who have some serious alcohol/drug problems. Turns out the lady did in fact have triplets - identical girls and a fraternal boy. She says she lasted 2 years. What I mean by that is that she informed me that after 2 years she couldn't cope anymore and gave them up for adoption. I'm starting to feel sick to my stomach. Time to hit the road and I did.

But it got me thinking. First of all about those three little kids who didn't have a stable home. And where are they now. Precious little 3 year olds - the same age as Mark. Then about this whole triplet thing. Like - are we crazy? Is this really going to slowly kill us? I know that having multiples like we have is a life-changing event, and it takes a toll on many aspects of peoples lives. Hard on careers. Hard on marriages. Hard on finances. You name it, it probably will get tested. But seriously...some people don't survive. That lady didn't. Sobering.

Anyway, I love my little boys. And I was glad to come home and hold each of the 4. Glad to have a wife that I know loves them as much as I do. Glad to have a good home and a stocked fridge. Thankful for my parents who gave me all of that and more. And especially glad that I grew up in a faith that taught me right from wrong. That some things we should live without. Especially things that are addictive, destructive and filthy.

6 comments:

  1. Oh what a sad story! Thanks for sharing. I am so glad that your little ones have 2 parents who love them so much and are willing to sacrifice anything for them (maybe starting with their sleep, ha ha)
    Hope to see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written thoughts. It was wonderful to see you both at Milltown last weekend. You both look great and it was nice for you to have a few hours of couple time. Those precious 4 sons of yours are so fortunate to have been born into your home & hearts. And you also have such an awesome support system with so many friends and family members that love your family - More Miles and Bigger Smiles! Good luck finding your dream triplet stroller! Brad.Karen.Lauren.Dana

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW WOW WOW... I suppose it's safe to assume that those trips were naturally conceived... the odds of that happening are so little... at least she didn't do drugs in the pregnancy or she wouldn't have gotten to take them home.. or maybe she did and had spare urine samples in her purse that she swapped out in the bathroom... ya now u know why I don't let them take their purse with them when they get me a sample... once burned... now cautious... I'm actually thankful she gave them up for adoption to a family that wanted them... sooo sad... curious how much were they selling the old stroller for??? oh and ps... I've had patients that actually regret buying a triplet stroller cuz they are SOOO hard to maneuver and steer that they just aren't worth it... something to think about... miss u guys.. cu soon... luv jj... ps still bonded to Chase.. I can't help it..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved your last paragraph Garth...that says it all. So glad to see you at Miltown and get a chance to visit. We feel so connected and love how that is so.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sad sad....poor little tots. I know Mountain Buggy makes a very cool triple stroller - not sure if you want to drop $1000 on a stroller tho (you could sell the Bugaboo to make up the difference!) but judging by the amount of use a stroller is going to get, it just might be worth it! I have used a double mountain buggy and they are a dream to manoeuvre so I assume a triple wouldn't be that much different!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Garth your ability to draw a picture with words is stunning, and in this case very sobering. It's painful to see how people get themselves in a position of an unwanted child(ren) when so many wish and desire and yet never attain hugs and kisses as payment. After all of our struggles to have our precious two, it's the best life has to offer. Not every day runs smoothly or without sacrifice, but at the end of the day when you get an I love you... or just a smile it's all worthwhile. U guys r awesome, with the struggles and trials comes the strenth and greater love for each other. As we were taught right/wrong it is our responsibility to do the same, with borders and boundaries comes trust and love. All the best in each day, think of you guys almost every day!

    ReplyDelete