Friday, April 30, 2010

Signs that The End Is Near

#1. Garth Buys a Minivan

For those of you who know me and have listened to my prognosticating...you know that I wasn't looking forward to making the next big purchase in my life - The Minivan. I sort of likened it to something like a root canal...best put off as long as possible, and when absolutely necessary - do it quickly and try to think about something else.

So yesterday I did just that. It took me exactly 23 minutes to choose, test drive and agree to make an offer on this little puppy. Then of course, I had to endure the agony of the "let me take that offer to my sales manager...." dog and pony show - which wasted another hour or so. End result: Toyota Dealership 1, Garth 0.

The real indignity here is the insult to the ex-girlfriend. She was a beautiful, German made lass, which I loved to drive and Mark always regarded as "our race car"! She purrs like a kitten, corners like a cheetah...ahhhh we will miss her. Of course, with her looks, she'll have no problem finding another boy-toy...but the hit to her self esteem - I don't know how she'll ever recover. For a BMW to get dumped for a Toyota mini-van is just plain ugly. Like, we're talking desperation here.

I console myself with the thought that this is just a fling...a short-term relationship that is doomed from the outset. Even Sherri agrees. Once the burping, pooping, screaming triplets have the capacity to buckle-up on their own...this little gal will be shown the door.

16 comments:

  1. Aw C'mon Garth - Think of the UTILITY of a Toyota Minivan! Of course with 6 you'll NEED all 3 rows! Your trip to hospital will be safer in this thing. (and back from!) Also, you better start looking at car seats!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But you have my DREAM mini-van! The back windows roll down! And the newer version (that you have) has more "stuff" capacity -- and we know you'll need that! At least for the next 18 years! Think of 5 guys worth of hockey gear! :) Wishing you 3 full rows of healthy children -- in 3 or more weeks, please!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha! Of course I'm joking about the van! Its pretty nice, actually. Everything one could want...the kids'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Garth...at least it will probably never get stolen...remember Balsam St????? And after the mini van days are over...you can get a Ford Hummer ...hee hee ....sorry, Sherri, I couldn't resist.
    Just love this blog...it makes my day when there is a new post,big hug for my little Markie...sure do miss your drop ins.....love Diana W.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's not bad at all - I like the color. You'll survive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Garth - - when Ron bought our first van, he did it on his own - - I HATED them. However, I must say that they are probably the most practical vehicle ever made. Really! We cld get more stuff in ours, AND more people, than our friends cld in their giant SUVs. They are inexpensive, easy to drive, hold lots of whatever, and are like having a pickup for the yard. But, I still don't like them!!! :)
    It'll be ok though - no worries. We're thrilled that you need it!

    Ron and Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey....our kids call our minivan a race car! You should see how fast we go in our Honda! *grin After thinking people were crazy for buying them...we finally did when Danny was born...so we could cart around our kids and their cousins...and now...I absolutely love it. So Watch Out...you just might fall in love! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Garth, dear cousin!The young are so silly!A mantra for you:"I am not my minivan,I am not my minivan"-and by the time it really sinks in,you won't need the van anymore!;)Love you guys!And way to go Sherri,31 wks.?YAY! Hugs&hi to Mark from his redhead relatives:)- the blonds say hi too.xo,the Plantes

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to say something here too. Because I understand the feeling. I wasn't excited at all when we got our Toyota minivan 2 years ago. But I fell in love with it very soon, as it is easier to drive (and to see), and so much room inside. I didn't think it would be that way. But yes, I love it. We had an adventure with it too, it was stolen from a parking lot in Seattle :-). Luckily we found it after about 3 weeks, and now I never let my GPS in sight. It was almost untouched otherwise, but of course the GPS was gone. But just imagine the feeling of not finding your car where you left it, and 3 weeks without knowing if you'll have it again ...
    Ivona

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Garth and Sherri;

    Re: Minivan

    I regret to inform you that I will have to dissolve our friendship. It's not me, it's you. I hope you understand.

    Sincerely, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  11. Laughing until i had tears running down my face and then reading Donna's comment too much... congrats on the new wheels. Garth you are very good at this blog thing. Thinking of you guys Ang,Chris J&P&L

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heh Garth...hate to tell you but girlfriends come and go and they are high maintenance!!! Better off with the family van!!!Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  13. glad you're joking (sortof?) I was deciding whether or not to be insulted, as we have the exact same van and it's great! before long, you'll have forgotten all about your ex-girlfriend, and will be rippin' around in the van like it's a race car! It's a pretty cushy ride and won't let you down.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Embrace your new ride, she'll make your life much easier!!!!

    Lara

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love driving my parents Toyota Sienna, of course they are the registered owners so I haven't become an official minivan owner. The van is nicer than my SUV!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Couldn't resist, follow the link:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUG3Z8Hxa5I

    Lara

    ReplyDelete