Thursday, April 8, 2010

Welcome to antepartum

This is the waiting place. I am currently sitting beside my wife, who has for the last 32 hours been fighting valiantly to keep these babies on the inside rather than on the outside. We sit in a rather odd part of the hospital...a ward filled with expectant mothers who all share one desire...more time. Hence, it is the waiting place. You don't see many people here. They, for the most part, are bed-ridden and if they feel like me, probably don't want small talk anyway so we keep to ourselves. The stakes are high. I look at the patient board and see a variety of gestational ages- 23 wks, 31 wks, 24 wks, 29 wks...etc...and in our case 27 wks 3 d with a big 3 circled next to it referring to the fact that we are the only couple here with triplets on board. We don't want to meet our little babies yet - if we do we are all aware that we may not hold them for long and their little bodies may be...well...just too little. We care desperately about them as only parents do, and I find myself getting emotional as I hope for the chance to take these little guys home some day and show them the life they deserve. Yes, I am overtired too.

I already must ask a favor from my little sons. It is now clear that no matter what happens, they will have to be little fighters. We are hoping for days and maybe weeks now, but ultimately these little guys are going to have to fight and there won't be much I can do for a while. Lets hope for the best.

Let me back up and give you the update on Sherri. Tuesday night we went to bed as usual and although we had had a tough day, there was no sign of trouble. I woke up to Sherri getting really restless about 2:00am and asked her what was up...turns out she had been having contractions that had woken her so we started to time them. I quickly realized that we were going to be headed to the hospital...6 contractions in 15 minutes...need I say more. Our dear friend Bonnie came over to be with Mark, and off we went.
Upon arriving at Swedish, Sherri was basically in full labor...a contraction every 3 min...not what anyone wants at 27 weeks. The nursing staff and doctors were amazing but they had a big job ahead of them...to stop this train that had left the station. Out comes the bazooka.
Apparently Magnesium Sulfate has some practical uses. One of them is that its a smooth muscle relaxant...particularly helpful if the smooth muscle we're talking about is a uterus. This is the drug of last resort when it comes to pre-term labor...injected straight into the bloodstream through an IV it hits you hard and fast. I'm speaking from an onlookers perspective here.
They start apologizing immediately. The nurses. The doctors. Everyone is apologizing. "I'm sorry, this will be terrible...". Dr. Tran..."my last name is a 4-letter word and you'll be using it that way soon...I'm sorry...". "This will be really hard on you Sherri, I'm so sorry...". Pull the trigger...poor Sherri...
Yes it is a smooth muscle relaxant. It is also the next thing to napalm and has a tendancy to completely knock you off your feet. Can't eat. Skin is burning up. Can't lift your arms. Don't even think about standing up. Puking. Can't sleep. You're on fire. All over. And it doesn't stop. No, not for 48 hrs.
The good news is: the crazy stuff seems to work. Her contractions started to slow within a few hours, and over the next 24 they continued to slow to where we're at now - 32 hours later at about 3 an hour...which in our "new normal" is ok. She still feels terrible, but at least we have bought a little time.

Now we wait. Like the others here, we don't know if we'll be here a few days or several weeks, maybe a month. They've given Sherri steriods to help the babies lungs develop faster, and spur their growth as there is no doubt we'll have preemies. The goal is still 32 weeks, but we are realistic...every day now is a gift. I am hopeful we get a couple of weeks at least. I am so proud of my wife- she's the toughest little supermom I know - and I do think we'll all be ok. Nobody ever promised us easy.
We are here at Swedish, the doctors ask for no visitors. This is quiet time. A sign on every wall reads- "Baby Needs to Grow, Mom Needs to Rest". Sherri is doing pretty good, as I said she's been through a lot, but we're up for it. We appreciate all your thoughts and prayers!

32 comments:

  1. Hi Sherri! Mark was really good today. We went to play class and had a blast. We did a little supplemental shopping too.

    Mark and I have a new game - he calls it "bunnies". We snuggle under a blanket on the couch, and then he says "a monster is coming!" and we have to hide under the blanket.

    His prayer for breakfast was, "I pray for this nice day, and I pray for Garth, and Sherri, and Amber, and for the babies, and for Mark, the baseball man. Amen."

    Hope you're feeling better!

    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! Sorry this is such a rough road right now. You guys are super parents!! Hang in there! Sending positive thoughts your way! Our love, Michael & Marianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got a little tear in my eye - especially when you describe the magnesium sulfate reaction! All the best to all 5 of you! You live, thankfully, where some of the best doctors are! Liquid in baby lungs can be miracle stuff! You are definitely in thought and prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My heart is heavy for you guys as i read the latest update. So many thoughts and prayers for you guys and your three little pumpkins. Please let us know if we can do anything. We would love to come visit you but know that quietness at this time is SO important. Sending hugs to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are bombarding you with positive thoughts... love... prayers...
    We love you all so much...
    Grow babies.... grow...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's really cool Garth to read your blog from a father's perspective... it helps me to know what is going through all these husbands minds as I start up the drips of Mag Sulf...

    I love that u guys are with me at Swedish.. it truly is the best place to be and I know we are all proving that to you... it is so different being on the inside circle when I personally love you guys and anxiously wait hour by hour... I'm so thankful the 2nd dose of steroids are in and currently crossing the placenta... that makes me happy...

    Keep positive.. every day IS HUGE... THESE BOYS ARE AMAZING... I mean how can they not be??... THEY ARE MILES BOYZ...

    Sherri is soooo amazing... she takes it all like a champ!!!!

    luv Jelaine...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh... thankful that you are together and such a strong team. I agree - Sherri is Supermom. Lots of love to you all. ~K&K&H.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We are thinking a lot of you too and wished we could do something. It was really impressive to read these last news and it is hard to keep my eyes dry while reading. I can't believe Shery and you can cope with all this and I wish you strenght to the end (or till the new begining). Wish you many more days, or weeks!
    It was so nice to read about Mark too, and his prayer. Soo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherri and Garth, you are both a great team. Sherri, you are amazing!!! Take care. Lots of positive thoughts and hugs go your way. Take care of those little munchkins......they'll be fighters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow...I can not describe how I felt reading this last post. All I wish is that I could be there right now and give you all a huge hug, and to be able to through a penny into the wishing well and wish that those boys will stay in a bit longer. sounds like you have amazing drs and nurses there, so I'm sure you are in good hands. Garth please give Sherri and hug and a kiss from our whole family. We are thinking of you lots!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keep it up! You all are doing so great. Thinking of you all! My boys are doing their best to not let me rest either! :) ...But luckily at this stage no one comes around with a needle of magnesium sulfate and the only fire I feel is my temper. Best of luck. You are definitely in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Garth, Sherri and Mark-
    We have been thinking about you all so much and want to send our love and care your way. We are glad you are in good hands and that you have the support of each other, family and friends. We know that God will not give you more than you can bear - hang in there!! xoxoxoxo Love, Tim, Adele & 5

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh dear oh dear oh dear...we're hoping, praying, trusting with all our might. Hang in there, precious little boys!

    Doug and Shelley

    ReplyDelete
  14. You truly are supermom Sherri and Garth I know it's tough on you too, but you sound like a superdad too!
    So glad you are being well taken care of and we are rooting with you for 32 weeks! One day at a time!
    Love your positive attitudes, keep it up!
    Love Lori, Ruben and 3

    ReplyDelete
  15. We are feeling the weight of your worry on our shoulders and wishing that you still lived just down the road from us so that we could do more....stay strong, if anyone can manage to get through this it's Sherri! Love and hugs to you all. Sandee & Greg xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sherri... I just felt physically ill for you, reading about them administering the Magnesium Sulphate into your IV. It's unbelievable what you are going through for these three boys. I'm feeling a bit helpless that there's nothing I can do for you right now. Just know that I'm thinking of you... and maybe we can talk sometime soon. All the best, hugs and kisses, Donna

    ReplyDelete
  17. Whoa!!!!! I think my heart skipped a few beats as I read this last post. 1) Thanks for keeping us all posted Garth, you do amazing at keeping up this blog... and 2) it sounds like you are doing amazing too at cheering Sherri on and being there with her every step of the way!
    3) SHERRI, YOU ARE A SUPER CHAMP!!!! I can't even begin to imagine what you are going through right now, but of all you have been through so far, and come this far.... I just know that you will pull through. We are all rooting for you and our thoughts and prayers are with you every step of the way!

    Hang in there girl!!!

    xoxoxoox love to you both... and mark of course too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thinking of you and hope that Sherri is feeling a little bit better.
    Love Lanita

    ReplyDelete
  19. We will be thinking of you and praying that we don't get the news of 3 new little Miles Boys for another 4 1/2 weeks! It's hard to believe all the amazing help you're receiving and good to know you're in a place to get the BEST of care and support. Love to all 3 of you!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hang in there everyone!!! When the time comes Brenda and I will be there to hold babies *remember the dream Sherri :) Hugs, Paula Keddie

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my you guys! I just now went to the blog and found out the news. Was kinda wondering why I hadn't seen you at the office. My thoughts are with you all. Hoping those little guys stay put for several more weeks. Thanks Garth for updating us and such info so we know what is going on. Much love to you and Sherri. Sherri you are such a strong woman and one heck of a fighter. Keep up the fight. Roxy

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Guys,
    You know we are thinking of you all here too. Glad you are at a great place so that the best help can be at hand Sherri. Garth and Mark are such little buddies and so supportive. Miss you! Will come see you when it is a good time.
    Fairs

    ReplyDelete
  23. So, Momma Sherri! We know that you are at your best, doing your best, with the best by your side - - and look at everyone behind you!! :) You are in a super place, with a fantastic nurse - - no problem, girl. Can't wait to hold those sweet babies, but pls not just yet. I've put Paula on notice, and we'll be there! Sending our love to you, Garth and Mark. XOX Ron and Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your entries have amazed and enlightened me, but this latest one is off the charts - and I already knew that crunch time was on before I read this. Glad nobody was sitting here with me. The raw emotion, the stress, hopes and fears, and yet still willing to share a little with those of us who are pulling for you. Thanks!
    Keep up the incredible vigil Sherri and Garth. Your total selflessness will be repaid many times over by these little lives you are protecting.
    Standing by with optimism and hope.
    Darren

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lots and lots of warm thoughts and love are being sent to you. We want the Miles boys to stay in longer. Sherri-you are awesome, hang in there and this too will pass. So glad we saw you for a short while on Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, we were so hoping you'd be able to hang in there longer! What a tough thing to go through!! We're thinking of you guys, take care!

    ReplyDelete
  27. these kids that think the outside is better than the inside drive me nuts... Thinking about you and hope that things SLOW down a bit, sounds like you have great care. Our thought,prayers are with you guys... Sherri you raise the bar again. Ang and Chris

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hope you can all hang in there a lot longer ... what a tough situation for everyone and especially Sherri. We are thinking of you all. Keep your chins up, and you triplets, keep your chins IN.

    ReplyDelete
  29. You guys are a wonderful, tough little family. So much love to you all. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. We love you all so much! Always in our thoughts! Sherri, I know you are a tough gal, get some rest sweet girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Guys
    Thinking of you all so much and hoping for extra days, weeks, whatever you can handle. 27 weeks is still a pretty good stage, 24 would be pretty unrealistic so you can celebrate that much so far. Sending you love and hugs and warm thoughts. I know the world is exciting but I hope the boys enjoy their mummy cocoon a while longer - it's just the best place to be! I guess those names might be needed sooner rather than later - that's exciting! Wish I was closer but look forward to hearing the next update. HUGS Stephanie, Shannon & family

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thinking of you, Sherri, with 5 guys intent on your every breath...! Wishing you many, many days in the hospital.

    Thanks for sharing, Garth. Either you're an excellent writer or I'm emtional. I'm not emotional. :-)
    Lotsa Love, Bonnie S. & family

    ReplyDelete